Top 10 essentials when flying with Babies (6 – 12 months)
All you Mom´s know its difficult to decide on what to pack when traveling, especially if you are going abroad. I know I feel that way and always over pack. However, I also think better overpack than under pack especially when it comes to flying with Babies to a foreign country. Depending on what airline you fly with they might have restrictions on baggage therefore its good to have a shortlist for carry-on essentials to take with for your Baby.
After having travelled extensively with both our daughters I have decided to create separate baby carry-on travel essentials check lists, as there are some items you need more than others depending on the age. Please see Top 10 Carry-On Items (2-6 months) Blog if your Baby is between 2 and 6 months old.
Checklist as a guide…
Please bear in mind that this is a check-list to help parents pack for travel. It will not be the same for every baby and is only a guide that will hopefully help you create your ideal carry-on travel essential checklist.
Top 10 Carry-On Essentials for flying with Babies (6 – 12 months):
- Baby Thermometer. Click here
- Travel Size Baby Paracetamol/Ibuprofen – I personally would bring Paracetamol and Ibuprofen along, as Paracetamol never brought down my daughter Havana´s fever as a baby. If they give you the bottles that are over 100ml you can not bring them on the plane so UK readers you can buy the smaller bottles at the airport at Boots or little Calpol sachets as shown in the picture above.
- Snacks/Food – Bring enough snacks with for the flight and add a few more… Before flying and depending on how long the flight is you and order a baby meal and that normally consists of a bunch of baby food pouches.
- Baby Teether/Pacifier (or another item that helps soothe your Baby)
- Nappy Rash Cream – Sudocream have a great small travel size cream, which is perfect for the nappy bag and carry-on. It is also great for treating surface wounds, eczema,etc. Click here
- Dish liquid in a small travel size container – One of the hotels we stayed at in Spain a few years back had a little container labelled dish liquid. I thought it was so smart and great to take with traveling with our then weaning baby. I would use a little bath cloth to then wash the bottles, etc. in the airplane & hotel bathrooms.
- Travel Spoon – The Munchkin Brand makes small spoons are great for feeding your child from any food pouch brands and twist on easily click here to see more. There is also a new baby food feeder on the market that you can use to fill up with your own food, if you prefer to make all the baby food yourself. Both products are quite handy to have.
- Baby formula/Water . This wouldn’t apply to every mother, but I found sometimes when travelling my milk supply was lower and when your baby’s got to eat she/he has got to eat. The powdered version is normally best for travelling as you don’t have a hassle at the airport. Although the airports do have a separate scanner where they can scan liquids over 100ml. In any case I would always have some emergency formula or water with me in case the baby is really hungry and the airplanes can make you dehydrated.
- A baby bottle and/or sippy cup are good to have along, dependent on if your child is drinking milk and/or water.
- Wipes – I always have extra wipes with me especially when traveling with a weaning baby or toddler. It can get really messy. On this messy note I would also bring either a reusable silicone bib which is easy to clean or disposable bibs, which are quite light and don’t take up space in the bag.
- A muslin in case your baby spits up and change of clothes for you & the baby.
Please do bear in mind that this list is will of course vary by baby and parent and I didn’t include the obvious and probably most important items such as nappies, wipes, doctor prescribed medication, etc. 🙂
If you are about to go on a long flight and have a layover, a change of clothes for you and the baby as well as lots of snacks are also really important. Depending on what time you land the airport shops might not be open and so it is good to be prepared for such situations.
Happy Baby Happy Travels